Saturday, August 21, 2010

Irony of opportunity

Even as a child, I have always been the one who would try to find out a good thing in worst case scenarios that would happen to me. I have honor of finding a good thing in loosing my friends, of my first ever heartbreak, even my father's death - which gave someone shock when I expressed it once in front of someone. So, I really understand people who try to look for a positive thing in all the negativity that may be afflicted on them. But last night, it was my time to be shocked, perhaps horrified that would eventually lead to sadness.

I do not belong to the clan of super positive and active youth but I have my contacts with them. One of such organisation messaged me last night about how they will be having a sitting soon to decide on ways to help internally displaced people living in camps in our city. Some of their words were

"We might never get this opportunity to work with almost 21,000 lives."
It struck me as if it was a good thing, to have this opportunity and yes, lets go -gung ho - avail this opportunity. Their intentions must be good - they want to help, make a difference in 21,000 lives - but are their intentions really good - we have IDPs in our city and we may never again have them so lets go there and experience how it feels to work with them, we might even get coverage for that and even if we don't, we can say tomorrow we went to help them.

I know I am unable to express truly how I feel, specially why I feel this total sadness - happens quite a lot with me due to my ideas being abstract - but I hope I am able to tell someone what a difference in your vocabulary can make in what you want to convey. I would not try to be judgmental and let them help now, at least, they want to do something, if it has a positive effect, does it really matter -in the end - what their intention was?

No comments:

Post a Comment